The Desk appreciates the support of readers who purchase products or services through links on our website. Learn more...

Sean “Diddy” Combs temporarily steps down as chairman of Revolt TV

The resignation comes after several women filed civil lawsuits accusing the rap artist of sexual abuse.

The resignation comes after several women filed civil lawsuits accusing the rap artist of sexual abuse.

Sean "Diddy" Combs (inset image) performing in 2010. (Inset photo by Reckless Dream Photography via Wikimedia Commons, Graphic by The Desk)
Sean “Diddy” Combs (inset image) performing in 2010. (Inset photo by Reckless Dream Photography via Wikimedia Commons, Graphic by The Desk)

Rap artist Sean “Diddy” Combs has stepped away as the chairman of Revolt TV, the hip-hop network he founded in 2013, following fresh sexual abuse allegations levied against him in a new civil lawsuit.

The move was first reported by entertainment publication TMZ on Tuesday and later confirmed by officials at Revolt via social media. His departure came last week, TMZ said, citing unnamed “sources with direct knowledge” of the matter.

Combs was not involved in the day-to-day operations of Revolt as the network celebrates its 10th anniversary. The channel is expected to press forward under the leadership of Revolt CEO Detavio Samuels and Chief Brand Officer Deon Graham.

Executives at Revolt said they were focused on creating “meaningful content for the culture,” as it has done since it was founded 10 years ago.

“Our focus has always been one that reflects our commitment to the collective journey of Revolt — one that is not driven by any individual, but by the shared efforts and values of our entire team on behalf of advancing, elevating and championing our culture — and that continues,” officials at the network said in a statement. Revolt is carried on several cable platforms across the country, and nationwide on Dish Network’s Sling TV, Fubo and Philo.

Combs’ resignation — which has been characterized as temporary — comes after three women spoke out about alleged sexual abuse committed by the rap artist. Several lawsuits were filed in New York state prior to the expiration of a reform law that gave alleged victims of sexual abuse a one-year window to file legal complaints outside the normal statute of limitations.

One lawsuit, filed by Casandra “Cassie” Ventura, is seeking $30 million and accuses Combs of engaging in a years-long campaign of physical and sexual abuse, including sex trafficking. The case was settled out of court shortly after it was filed, NPR reported. An attorney representing Combs said the settlement should not be considered as an admission of guilt.

“Mr. Combs’ decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims,” the lawyer, Ben Brafman, said in a statement earlier this month.

Photo of author

About the Author:

Matthew Keys

Matthew Keys is the publisher of The Desk and reports on the business and policy matters involving the broadcast television, streaming video and radio industries. He previously worked for Thomson Reuters, Disney-ABC, Tribune Broadcasting and McNaughton Newspapers. Matthew is based in Northern California, has won numerous awards in the field of journalism, and is a member of IRE (Investigative Reporters and Editors).