
José Alberto Suárez, a longtime NBC Universal and Telemundo executive who led several local TV stations in Florida, was killed Wednesday in a helicopter crash in Kenya. He was 55.
Suárez was among five Americans who died in the crash, the U.S. State Department confirmed. Seven people were on board the aircraft when it went down in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County at 9:13 a.m. local time, according to Kenya’s Civil Aviation Authority. Local police said all six passengers and the pilot were killed.
The helicopter was operated by Lady Lori Kenya, which said the aircraft was conducting a charter flight from Suyian Conservancy to Mount Ololokwe. The company said it was cooperating with authorities investigating the crash, according to NBC News.
“Our deepest sympathies are with the guests, crew, their families and loved ones, and all those affected by this tragic accident,” Lady Lori Kenya said in a statement.
The U.S. Embassy is in contact with local authorities and is providing consular assistance, a State Department spokesperson said.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones on their loss,” the spokesperson said.
Suárez served as the President and General Manage of three Telemundo stations in Florida — WWDT (Channel 43) in Fort Myers, WRMD (Channel 49) in Tampa and WTMO (Channel 31) in Orlando — and previously held leadership roles at Telemundo stations in other parts of the country, including Sacramento, Fresno, Las Vegas, San Antonio and Salt Lake City.
Before becoming a station executive, Suárez worked at WTVJ (Channel 6, NBC) in Miami as the station’s Director of Creative Services and Programming. He also served as Executive Producer of non-news programming and specials, including daily entertainment shows. Earlier in his career, he worked as a reporter and anchor in Florida, Ohio and Texas.
Suárez received several honors during his career, including a Lone Star Emmy, a Suncoast Emmy, three Emmys for Best Daily Newscast and multiple Associated Press awards.
NBC Universal News Group Chairman Cesar Conde described Suárez as an “exceptional colleague and mentor” in a message to employees. Conde said Suárez cared deeply about his teams, the communities they served and the role local stations play in viewers’ lives.
“He brought energy, humor, warmth and a strong sense of purpose to his work, and his impact was felt far beyond the stations he led,” Conde said.
In a separate statement, Conde, NBCU Local Chairman Valari Staab and Telemundo Station Group President Jose Cancela said they were “heartbroken” by Suárez’s death.
Miami restaurateur Roger Edward Duarte, founder of George Stone Crab, was also killed in the crash, according to a statement from his family. Ecuador’s National Assembly said Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza, Director General of the country’s national intelligence center, and his wife, Stephany Hollihan Vásconez, were among the fatalities.
The assembly said flags would be flown at half-staff at parliament for three days.